Morning COVID routine:
- Wake up, roll out of bed and head downstairs to the kitchen.
- Take a shot of Xtra Sharp. Followed by a huge drink of water to take away the awful taste left in my mouth from the Xtra Sharp.
- Check the weather from my kitchen window. Make a mental note to check the pool chemicals, and do some yard work tonight.
- Walk over to my kitchen table. Which has become my business center, design space and aquaponic grow center. (we will explain that more in a later post)
- Click my Bluetooth keyboard until the monitors flash to life.
And work starts for the day. My kids are usually sleeping when I wake. Partly because I’m not good at keeping a routine and I am a night owl. They take after me, staying up way past most parents “kid’s bedtime” hours.
I should also mention. Last week my family and I were camping in the mountain. After a week away a layer of cat hair chunks has spread throughout my house. My 20-year-old cat likes to pick out his fur often and leave hair spread out everywhere. Right now, it looks like a cat groomer was hear with 15 cats… I digress.
So there you have it. I have laid the scene for yesterday morning.
Picture the routine. Me sitting at my kitchen table/business centre starting work for the day. The house is a hot 24 degrees celcius. So I head over and turn the air conditioning on and set it full blast.
Yesterday morning started out like any other morning. I checked emails then responded to emails. Made notes for meetings later in the day and checked in with colleagues via zoom.
Then, like an instant wave of a Southern Alberta chinook, my allergies hit me. I mean, all faucets in my head turned on full force. Running nose, sneezing, watering eyes. I was dying, metaphorically. And while kleenex is currently rationed, I was going through kleenex like a toddler on their first birthday.
What the heck was making my allergies flare up?
I popped 2 allergies pills and started pulling out all my home remedies to try to suppress the symptoms. with nostrils stuffed with tissue and some Benedryl on stand-by, nothing was working.
So I got up from my desk and it’s as if I had laser vision! My damn cat’s hairy sleeping pillow was covering the air vent beside my desk… It’s as though my life is a joke of my own making.
Cats, allergies, and air conditioning.
It’s confirmed, I can’t live in denial any longer. I’m allergic to cat dander. I have been avoiding the diagnosis for years. I can’t get enough of my fluffy little feline friends whether they kill me or not.